Who We Are and What We Stand For
What Is Distance Learning?
Distance learning, also known as correspondence education or home study, is a form of education where there is little or no face-to-face interaction between students and their instructors. Distance learning students usually study from home, instead of attending physical classes.
Some Other Features Of Distance Learning Include The Following:
Study material is delivered to students via post, courier, email, or the internet.
Assessments are carried out by means of written assignments, exams, and/or portfolios of evidence.
Academic support is provided to students through various channels, including telephone, post, email, and instant messaging programs.
What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Distance Learning?
The MAIN ADVANTAGE of distance learning is that it presents students with a flexible alternative to traditional classroom-based education.
HERE ARE SOME OF THE OTHER ADVANTAGES:
- It gives students greater access to education. Students who are unable to attend classes due to disabilities, or due to family responsibilities, may be able to further their studies via distance learning.
- It is more affordable. Students can save money by not having to travel to classes.
- It gives students the option to work and study at the same time. Because distance learning students are free to study according to their own schedules, they can easily fit in their studies around their work commitments.
- It allows students to study at their own pace. Students won’t be under pressure to keep up with the rest of the class, and they won’t be held back by slower students. They can also choose how much time to spend on each section of the course material.
- It allows students to choose from a wider variety of courses. Students aren’t limited to studying courses that are offered by academic institutions in their geographical areas.
- It helps students to develop valuable skills. Students will be able to improve their self-discipline, sense of responsibility, time management, and independent thinking skills by studying largely on their own via distance learning.
- It presents students with fewer distractions. While the social aspect of campus life often distracts students from their studies, distance learning makes it easier for students to remain focused.
Despite All The Advantages, There Are Also A Number Of Disadvantages To Studying Via Distance Learning:
- There is no face-to-face contact with teachers or lecturers. However, many distance learning institutions provide students with academic support via telephone, email, post, and instant messaging.
- There is often minimal interaction with other students. However, students may be able to interact online, or they may decide to form their own study groups.
- It requires high levels of self-discipline. In most cases, there won’t be anyone checking up on students to make sure that they get through their work on time.
How Do I Know Whether Distance Learning Is The Right Choice For Me?
Distance learning is a great option for those who want to further their studies, but are unable to attend classes on a regular basis. However, distance learning is not the right choice for everyone – it is best suited to those who are self-disciplined and self-motivated.
DISTANCE LEARNING MIGHT BE THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR YOU IF:
- You have a disability that makes it difficult for you to attend classes.
- You have family responsibilities that prevent you from attending classes.
- You live far away from a campus, or you have problems with getting transport to a campus.
- You are self-disciplined and self-motivated.
- You have good time management skills.
- You are able to work independently, and you don’t need someone to check up on your progress all the time.
- You prefer to work on your own, rather than being surrounded by other students.
- You want to be able to work while you study.
Distance Learning At Oxbridge Academy
Oxbridge Academy’s approach to distance learning is based on the motto: “effortless excellence in education.” As a result, distance learning students at Oxbridge Academy can expect only the highest levels of service and support from their student advisors and tutors.
Some of the other benefits that distance learning students will experience when they choose to study at Oxbridge Academy include the following:
- Study material that is included in the course fee and delivered via courier for free.
- Access to individual academic support from tutors via email.
- Constructive feedback on assignments within 2 weeks of submitting them to the college.
- An option to pay course fees in affordable monthly instalments, without being charged any interest.
Want To Find Out More About Studying Via Distance Learning?
Click on the links below to get more information:
Where Can I Study Via Distance Learning In South Africa?
There are a number of colleges and universities that offer distance learning courses in South Africa. One such college is Oxbridge Academy, an accredited distance learning provider offering an extensive range of short learning programmes and national qualifications to students in South Africa and abroad.