Admin and Secretarial Jobs
The role of secretary or administrator has changed dramatically in recent years. It is no longer limited to filing, typing and answering the telephone, but now extends to providing high-level support to the senior staff members in an organisation. As a result, the demand for admin and secretarial jobs has increased, and those applying for jobs in this field are advised to make sure that they have the qualifications they need to stand out from the large number of competitors in the job market.
What are the different types of admin and secretarial jobs?
All kinds of organisations require administrative support, which means that there are many different types of admin and secretarial jobs available. Jobs in this field can be full-time, part-time, or temporary, depending on the needs of the employer. Some of the job titles that you will frequently come across when searching for admin and secretarial jobs include the following:
- Administrative Assistant
- Data Capturer
- Executive Secretary
- Filing Clerk
- Front Desk Administrator
- Office Administrator
- Office Manager
- Personal Assistant
- Sales Secretary
- Switchboard Operator
What does an admin or secretarial job entail?
Admin and secretarial jobs are usually office-based. However, some employers make provision for secretarial jobs to be performed from home. The general duties that administrative and secretarial staff members may be required to perform include the following:
- Answering phone calls.
- Handling correspondence via post, e-mail and fax.
- Managing electronic and paper filing systems.
- Managing diaries and scheduling appointments.
- Booking meeting venues and making travel arrangements.
- Preparing reports and presentations.
- Purchasing office supplies.
- Photocopying and printing documents.
- Handling petty cash.
- For more senior positions: training and supervising junior admin staff.
To give you better idea of what a job in this field might involve, here is a sample job description for an Executive Secretary:
Job title: Executive Secretary
Purpose of position: To provide high-level administrative support to the senior managers of our organisation.
- Answer telephone calls and respond to all other incoming correspondence.
- Receive visitors.
- Schedule meetings and arrange meeting venues.
- Prepare agendas for and take minutes at meetings.
- Compile presentations and reports.
- Manage diaries and make travel arrangements when necessary.
- Conduct research on various topics as required by senior management.
- Implement information management policies and procedures.
- Train junior admin staff members.
Knowledge, skills and experience: The successful candidate will have the following:
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a secretarial or office admin environment
- A relevant certificate or diploma in administration
- Excellent communication skills
- Intermediate computer skills (including proficiency in MS Office)
- Integrity and reliability
- An eye for detail
- An ability to work independently and in a team
How can I prepare for an administrative or secretarial career?
You can prepare for a career in the administrative or secretarial field by studying towards a relevant qualification. At Oxbridge Academy, we give you the opportunity to study towards your qualification via distance learning, allowing you to prepare for your career without interfering with your other responsibilities.
The secretarial courses that we offer include the following:
Short Learning Programmes
These non-credit-bearing skills courses are designed to equip you with the skills you need to work as a secretary or administrative professional in a general office environment.
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Executive Secretary (Personal Assistant)
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Professional Secretary (Human Resources)
These N4 – N6 courses lead to recognised qualifications that are registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF). As such, these courses are designed to equip you with job-relevant skills that will prepare you for entering the administrative working environment with confidence. There are different focus areas within this category of courses – and each focus area will equip you with the knowledge and skills you need to work in a certain type of administrative role.
Secretarial – Entrepreneur and Business Management
- National Certificate: N4 Management Assistant (Entrepreneur and Business Management) (SAQA ID 66876)
- National Certificate: N5 Management Assistant (Entrepreneur and Business Management) (SAQA ID 66956)
- National Certificate: N6 Management Assistant (Entrepreneur and Business Management) (SAQA ID 67001)
Secretarial – Public Administration
- National Certificate: N4 Management Assistant (Public Administration) (SAQA ID 66876)
- National Certificate: N5 Management Assistant (Public Administration) (SAQA ID 66956)
- National Certificate: N6 Management Assistant (Public Administration) (SAQA ID 67001)
Secretarial – Legal Administration
- National Certificate: N4 Legal Secretary (SAQA ID 66880)
- National Certificate: N5 Legal Secretary (SAQA ID 66959)
- National Certificate: N6 Legal Secretary (SAQA ID 67004)
Secretarial – Medical Administration
- National Certificate: N4 Medical Secretary (SAQA ID 66878)
- National Certificate: N5 Medical Secretary (SAQA ID 66957)
- National Certificate: N6 Medical Secretary (SAQA ID 67002)
These courses will equip you with the fundamental skills that you need to work in the administrative/secretarial environment.