Public Management and Administration Careers
Are you wondering what it’s like to work in the public sector?
Careers in public management and public administration are multi-disciplinary in nature, and can be found in government departments, in parastatals, in non-profit organisations, in educational institutions, and even in some organisations within the private sector. Some of the areas of specialisation within the field of public management and administration include:
- Accounting and Financial Services
- Human Resource Management
- Knowledge Management
- Strategic Leadership
What skills do I need to pursue a career in public management and administration?
This will depend on the area of specialisation that you want to go into – for example: if you want to go into human resource management within the public sector, you will need to have relevant knowledge of HR practices, as well as communication skills, interpersonal skills, organisational skills, negotiation skills, and dispute resolution skills. However, there are also some general skills and characteristics that will help you if you want to get ahead in the field of public administration or management:
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Problem solving skills
- Time management skills
- Sound knowledge of government processes
- Strong focus on service delivery
- Ability to work in a team
What type of work will I be required to do?
This will also depend on your chosen area of specialisation. In general, however, public sector employees (civil servants) are responsible for developing and implementing public policy, managing public resources, and delivering public services.
Here are a few examples of the different job roles that you may be able to perform in the public sector (depending on your skills and qualifications):
- Admin Assistant
- Bid Administrator
- Budget Analyst
- Case Manager
- Committee Secretary
- Communications Officer
- Contract Administrator
- Customs and Excise Officer
- Environmental Health Officer
- Executive Secretary
- Human Resource Administrator
- IT Manager
- Legal Administrator
- Policy Analyst
- Procurement Manager
- Public Relations Officer
- Quality Assurance Administrator
- Risk Manager
- Tax Administrator
To view more detailed information regarding the type of work that you may be required to do, click on the following link: Government and Public Administration Job Descriptions.
What training do I need?
There are no general minimum training requirements for entry into the public management and administration field – the training that you need will depend on the job role that you want to perform.
Going back to the previous example: if you want to work as a human resource manager in the public sector, you will either need a qualification in HR, or a qualification in public administration specialising in HR. Also bear in mind that a general background in public administration will always be to your advantage when applying for a job in the public sector. To obtain this general background, you can study a course in public administration.
Oxbridge Academy offer the following courses in public administration via distance learning:
Short Learning Programmes
These non-credit-bearing skills development courses introduce you to public administration and public management and equip you with some of the fundamental knowledge and skills you need to work in this sector.
- Oxbridge Academy Short Course: Governance
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Municipal Management
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Municipal Management (Public Administration)
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Principles of Public Management
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Public Management
National Qualifications (N4 – N6)
These N4 – N6 courses lead to formal qualifications that are registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF). By studying an N4 – N6 course, you can acquire the knowledge and develop the skills you need to work in various departments within the public sector.
- National Certificate: N4 Public Management (SAQA ID 66875)
- National Certificate: N5 Public Management (SAQA ID 66955)
- National Certificate: N6 Public Management (SAQA ID 67000)
Public Management – Accounting
- National Certificate: N4 Public Management (Accounting) (SAQA ID 66875)
- National Certificate: N5 Public Management (Accounting) (SAQA ID 66955)
- National Certificate: N6 Public Management (Accounting) (SAQA ID 67000)
Management Assistant – Public Administration
- National Certificate: N4 Management Assistant (Public Administration) (SAQA ID 66876)
- National Certificate: N5 Management Assistant (Public Administration) (SAQA ID 66956)
- National Certificate: N6 Management Assistant (Public Administration) (SAQA ID 67001)
To find out more about studying public sector management with Oxbridge Academy:
Fill in the form on this page, and a Student Advisor will be in touch with you!