Public Sector Management Courses
Public Finance Administration
What is public finance administration?
Public finance administration is concerned with raising public revenue, allocating public funds and resources, and managing public assets to ensure that the government has enough money to fund all its activities. In addition, proper public finance administration is necessary to:
- Ensure compliance with financial laws and regulations.
- Prevent corruption and misuse of public funds/resources.
Public finance administration is a good line of work to go into if you:
- Enjoy working with numbers.
- Have an eye for detail.
- Have an analytical mind set.
- Have the ability to think strategically.
- Are interested in working in the public sector.
Where can I study public finance administration?
You can study public finance administration at Oxbridge Academy. At Oxbridge Academy, you can complete any of the following courses:
National Qualifications (N4 – N6)
- National Certificate: N4 Public Management (Accounting) (SAQA ID 66875)
- National Certificate: N5 Public Management (Accounting) (SAQA ID 66955)
- National Certificate: N6 Public Management (Accounting) (SAQA ID 67000)
When you choose to study one of these courses at Oxbridge Academy, you will have access to the following benefits:
- The opportunity to study from home.
- Academic support from a qualified tutor via telephone or e mail.
- Comprehensive study material that is specifically designed for distance learning students.
- Flexible payment plans.
Want to find out more about studying public finance administration at Oxbridge Academy?
Fill in the form on this page, and a Student Advisor will be in touch with you!
What will I learn when I study public finance administration?
When you study public finance administration, you will learn about topics such as:
- Public sector accounting and budgeting
- Forecasting and cost analysis
- Municipal administration
- The politics affecting public finance administration
These are only examples of some of the things that you will learn. The details of what you will learn will depend on the nature and level of the course that you decide to study.
Careers in public finance administration
The field of public finance administration presents you with a variety of career options, depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience. Here are a few examples of job titles that exist within the field:
- Bid Administrator
- Budget Analyst
- Financial Administrator
- Financial Analyst
- Internal Auditor
- Policy Researcher
- Programme Analyst
- Programme Co-ordinator
- Tax Administrator
- Tax Analyst
If you decide to pursue a career in the field of public finance administration, you will most often be employed by a government department. However, you might also find a position in a private organisation that is involved in government contracts. For example, many non-profit organisations receive funding from government departments to deliver services on their behalf. These non-profit organisations require staff members who are able to liaise with the relevant government departments in relation to their funding agreements. Job titles for these staff members could range from Administrative Assistant or Finance Administrator to Programme Co-ordinator or Bid Administrator.
How can I prepare for a career in public finance administration?
You can prepare for a career in public finance administrationby studying towards a relevant qualification at an accredited institution. The qualification that you will need will depend on the career path you want to follow.