Study Occupational Health and Safety from Home in South Africa
Fire drills, safety gear, evacuation procedures, wellness programmes, or risk management – whatever occupational health and safety means to you, it remains a key aspect in the workplace. By studying occupational health and safety, you can learn how to uphold the relevant health and safety standards at work. You can also learn how to ensure that your organisation complies with the health and safety legislation that applies to the South African working environment.
In South Africa, the Occupational Health and Safety Act prescribes certain rules and procedures that must be followed in the workplace. If you have a sound understanding of these rules and procedures, you can play a valuable role in your organisation by helping them to implement these safety and security rules and procedures.
What are the benefits of studying occupational health and safety from home?
- You can study at your own pace. You decide how much time you want to spend on your studies. If there is a section of the course that you are already familiar with, you can quickly skim through it, and if there is a section that you struggle with, you can spend more time trying to grasp it.
- You can work while you study. You don’t need to take time off work to complete a course in occupational health and safety. As you learn new skills, you will be able to apply them in your working environment – which will increase your understanding of the coursework.
- You can ask a qualified tutor for help. If you study from home through Oxbridge Academy, you will always be able to contact a qualified tutor, industry-expert via telephone or email if you have any questions about your coursework.
Where can I study occupational health and safety from home?
You can study occupational health and safety from home through Oxbridge Academy. Oxbridge Academy is an established private college offering occupational health and safety and other distance learning courses to students in South Africa and abroad.
Here is the list of OHS courses that you can study with Oxbridge Academy:
Please note that all the courses listed below are non-credit-bearing courses aimed at skills development. Click here to find out more about the value of studying a non-credit-bearing course.
Short Learning Programmes
- Oxbridge Academy Short Course: SHE Awareness
- Oxbridge Academy Short Course: SHE Investigation
- Oxbridge Academy Short Course: SHE Representative
- Oxbridge Academy Short Course: HIRA (Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment)
- Oxbridge Academy Short Course: Safety Audit Inspection
- Oxbridge Academy Short Course: Safety Management Skills
- Oxbridge Academy Short Course: Security Management Skills
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Safety Management
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Security Management
Short learning programmes accredited by Saiosh:
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Health & Safety
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Health and Safety for Management
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Health and Safety for Management – Intermediate
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Health & Safety for Management – Advanced
ISO and BS OHSAS Courses
- BS OHSAS 18001:2007 Occupational Health & Safety: Awareness Certificate
- BS OHSAS 18001:2007 Occupational Health & Safety: Facilitation Certificate
- BS OHSAS 18001:2007 Occupational Health & Safety: Internal Auditor Certificate
- ISO 14001:2004 Environmental Management: Awareness Certificate
- ISO 14001:2004 Environmental Management: Facilitation Certificate
- ISO 14001:2004 Environmental Management: Internal Auditor Certificate
- Oxbridge Academy Online Short Course Certificate: Introduction to the Occupational Health and Safety Act
Online Courses – IOSH and NEBOSH
These courses are offered in association with SHEilds (Accredited Centre Number 548). The IOSH and NEBOSH courses are all available online, and the NEBOSH courses prepare you for writing the NEBOSH exams. If you successfully complete your NEBOSH exams, you can apply for professional membership through IOSH, which is a chartered body for health and safety professionals.
- IOSH Managing Safely Award
- IOSH Working Safely Award
- NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
- NEBOSH International Certificate in Fire Safety and Risk Management
- NEBOSH International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety
- NEBOSH International Certificate in Construction Health and Safety
- NEBOSH Certificate in Environmental Management
What can I do once I have completed an occupational health and safety course?
The answer to this question will depend on the nature of the course that you choose to study. Some courses will equip you with the skills you need to take on health- and safety-related responsibilities in your current working environment, while other courses will prepare you for specialised careers in the OHS environment. Either way, having knowledge and skills in this field will increase your value as an employee, and will help you to make a valuable contribution to any organisation you work for.
Want to find out more about studying OHS from home?
Fill in the form on this page, and a Student Advisor will be in touch with you as soon as possible.