Senior Certificate (As Amended)
If you never completed Matric or would like to rewrite subjects in order to obtain your Senior Certificate (as amended), this programme is for you. Exam sessions are held yearly during June/July and exact dates will be communicated as they become available.
To qualify to register for a Senior Certificate (as amended), candidates need to be over the age of 21 and have either:
- a Grade 9 or Standard 7 report stating they passed the year, OR
- a General Education and Training Certificate (GETC), OR
- a recognised equivalent obtained at NQF level 1 which requires two official languages.
Candidates may also register if they have an incomplete Senior Certificate or if their School-Based Assessment (SBA) has expired.
Candidates who want to complete the Senior Certificate (as amended) programme, must register for six subjects, two of which must be official languages.
- Home Language (English, Afrikaans, isiXhosa)
- First Additional Language (English, Afrikaans, isiXhosa)
- Mathematical Literacy
- Physical Sciences
- Life Sciences
- Business Studies
- Agricultural Science
Need extra help with Mathematics, Mathematical Literacy, Physical Sciences or Life Sciences? Have a look at additional resources to give you the Best Chance of Matric Success.
A Senior Certificate will be achieved by an adult candidate who meets the following requirements in these exams:
- Pass three subjects at 40%, one of which must be an official language at Home Language level.
- Pass two subjects at 30%, one of which must be an official language at First Additional or Home Language level.
- Obtain a subminimum of 20% in the sixth subject.
Candidates who have previously passed Senior Certificate subjects at Higher and Standard Grade levels, may receive credits for those subjects. A Higher Grade pass is recognised at 40% whilst a Standard Grade pass is set at 33.3%.