Health and Wellness Courses
Occupational Certificate: Home Based Personal Care Assistant
The purpose of this qualification is to prepare a learner to operate as a Home Based Carer. Home Based Carers provide supervised care and support to patients and their immediate families/household members in the home and appropriate community based settings in order to promote, restore and maintain a person’s maximum level of comfort, function and health including care towards a dignified death.
A qualified learner will be able to:
- Assess, plan and provide holistic (physical, spiritual, emotional and social) care and support for patients and household members
- Capacitate patient and household/family members as participants in the patient care team
- Make appropriate referrals in order to facilitate a continuum of care
- Maintain records and reports regarding care and support provided
- NQF Level 2 – accredited by the Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO)
- SAQA ID: 104779
- 70 Credits
There are no educational entry requirements.
Knowledge Modules (8 credits)
- Fundamentals of Home Based Care
Practical Skill Modules (30 credits)
- Identify and report on possible needs of patients and family/household members on an ongoing basis
- Implement delegated components of the care plan (Household and patient)
- Capacitate patients/family/household members in basic practical care skills
Work Experience Modules (30 credits)
- Exposure to the processes of monitoring the implementation of the home based care plans
- Exposure to the processes of ensuring the active participation of patients and households in the management of care at home
- Exposure to the processes of capacitating patients/family/household members in basic practical care skills
- Exposure to the referral processes
Students are required to complete the following:
- 1 theoretical assignments
- 3 practical assignments
- 4 workplace assignments
Eligibility requirements for the external summative assessment:
The HWSETA is the assessment partner and will conduct the external exams. In order to qualify for the external summative assessment, learners must have a copy of a completed and signed Statement of Work Experience as well as proof of successful completion of the Knowledge, Practical, and Workplace Modules.
Upon completion of this course, students will be awarded an Occupational Certificate: Home Based Personal Care Assistant from the QCTO.
- Home Based Care Worker Level 3 (104792)
Means the total amount of time it would take an average learner to meet the outcomes defined in a learning experience and include, inter alia, face- to-face contact time; time spent in structured learning in the workplace; time for completing assignments and research; and time spent in assessment processes. 1 Credit is equal to 10 notional hours.