GED® – International Grade 12 Equivalent*
This online course enables you to earn the GED® Credential, a qualification that is recognised internationally, as well as by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) as being equivalent to Grade 12*.
Studying this course may be a good option if:
- You did not have the opportunity to write matric
- You failed matric
- You want to work or study broad
The term “GED” is a registered trademark of the American Council on Education (ACE), which is part owner of the GED® Testing Service, who administers the GED® testing programme globally. A GED® Credential shows that you have the same general level of academic achievement as a typical high school graduate.
SAQA have evaluated the GED® and found the National Senior Certificate as its closest comparable qualification.
- Students must be at least 18 years old
- Students must be in possession of a valid South African Identity Document
- Students must have access to a desktop computer or laptop with sound
- Students must have access to the internet
- Students must be able to study and complete assessments in English
- Reasoning Through Language Arts
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Social Studies
- Students are required to complete a pre-assessment to gauge their level of knowledge and understanding. The outcome of the pre-assessment is used to develop an Individual Learning Plan for each student.
- Students are required to pass 1 test per subject. The tests are computer-based, and must be completed at one of the Boston City Campus & Business College VUE Testing Centres listed below:
Note: The tests do not have to be taken together. In fact, it is recommended that students study for and pass one subject at a time.
To pass the test:
Students need to earn a minimum score of 145 on each test. Scores are calculated out of 200. The minimum percentage to pass is therefore 72.5% in each subject.
If you fail a test:
The GED® Testing Service permits students to write the same subject two additional times without a delay and then requires a 60-day waiting period between further attempts. There is no minimum grade criterion to qualify for such a rewrite opportunity, but it will attract a test fee. The GED® test score report will provide students with detailed feedback to address the skills that they need to work on.
Upon successful completion of the examinations, students will be awarded an electronic version of their GED® High School Equivalency Credential issued by the Office of the State Superintendent of Education in Washington, DC.
Students may apply to study at South African universities** with a GED® Credential. To ensure recognition of the GED® Credential when applying to South African universities, students must provide a copy of the GED® Credential, along with a letter of admission from a properly accredited US university. Students must also apply for a certificate of foreign conditional exemption from Universities SA.
R 13 000.00
Course Price (Excl. Reg Fee):
R 1100.00 X 6 months
*SAQA have evaluated the GED® and found the National Senior Certificate as its closest comparable qualification.
**GED® graduates may apply to Universities South Africa (USAf) for a letter of Foreign Conditional Exemption with their GED® Credential, accompanied by a letter of admission from an appropriately accredited US university (http://mb.usaf.ac.za/united-states-of-america/). There is no guarantee that a GED® graduate will be issued a letter of Foreign Conditional Exemption from USAf, nor that a university will accept their application.
During my years of studying with Oxbridge, I experienced efficient help and support encouragement from Oxbridge staff regarding my studies.Milika Lungu