Study Childcare Training Courses via Distance Learning
What is childcare, and what does childcare training entail?
Childcare is a broad term that refers to the activities performed by parents and caregivers in the process of meeting children’s needs. These needs range from basic physical needs, such as the need to be clothed and fed, to more complex needs, such as the need for intellectual stimulation, affection, and opportunities for self-actualisation.
Childcare training, then, is focused on equipping caregivers with the knowledge and skills that they need to meet the various needs of the children under their care. Some of the topics typically covered during a childcare training course include:
- How to bath a child
- How to feed a child (including how to meet a child’s nutritional needs)
- How to communicate with a child
- How to show affection to a child
- How to provide a safe and secure environment for a child
- How to stimulate a child’s development through play
- How to react in an emergency situation involving a child
- How to treat a child’s minor wounds, such as cuts and bruises
- How to tell when a child may be showing signs of developmental problems
Why should I study a childcare training course via distance learning?
Completing a childcare course will:
- Equip you with valuable knowledge and skills that will help you to look after children and enable them to develop to their full potential.
- Improve your credibility as a childcare worker, as it will show potential employers that you are committed to childcare, and that, through formal training, you have been adequately prepared for working with children and for providing them with a safe and nurturing environment.
By studying a childcare course via distance learning, you will have the opportunity to gain valuable knowledge and skills without having to travel to classes, and without having to take time off from your current responsibilities. In fact, you may even be able to start working in a childcare position while you complete your studies.
Other advantages of studying childcare via distance learning include the fact that you can study in your own time and at your own pace – which also means that you can complete your course early if you are a quick learner.
Where can I study a childcare training course via distance learning?
You can study a childcare course from home via distance learning with Oxbridge Academy. The courses you can choose from include the following:
Short Learning Programmes
These non-accredited skills courses equip you with fundamental skills in childcare, and introduce you to basic elements of childhood development. These courses are a good choice if you want to learn more about childcare, and if you want to acquire the basic skills you need to work as a nanny, childminder, or babysitter.
National Qualifications (ECD Courses):
These formal qualifications are registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF), and are designed to prepare you for a career in the ECD environment. These courses are a good choice if you want to work in a child day care centre or ECD centre, work as an au pair, or start up your own child day care centre.
- National Certificate: N4 Educare (SAQA ID 66883)
- National Certificate: N5 Educare (SAQA ID 66971)
- National Certificate: N6 Educare (SAQA ID 67007)
By studying one of these courses, you can gain the skills that you need to provide basic childcare to children of various ages.
Please note: if you want to work in a formal ECD environment, you will need to study towards the relevant ECD qualifications.
Did you know? When you study childcare with Oxbridge Academy:
- You have access to academic support from an industry-expert tutor via telephone and email.
- You receive all of your study material as part of your course fee (so that you don’t have to spend any extra money on textbooks).
- You are given the option to pay for your course fees in affordable monthly instalments.
What our childcare students have to say:
“It’s great to work with you, because I can communicate with you anytime.”
– Xoliswa Mbhele, N4 Educare student