Nanny Training Courses
A nanny training course is a childcare course that equips you with the knowledge and skills that you need to look after children and to work as a nanny.
What does a nanny do?
A nanny is a caregiver who is employed on a full-time or part-time basis to look after a child in the child’s own home. A nanny usually looks after a child while the parents are at work, and is responsible for a large variety of tasks related to childcare. He or she may, for example, be required to:
- Bath, dress and feed children (and teach older children to dress and feed themselves).
- Provide nutritious meals and snacks for children.
- Look after the general well-being of children.
- Plan and supervise games and educational activities for children.
- Transport children to and from school and extra-mural activities.
- Arrange playdates for children.
- Carry out basic household chores related to the children (such as washing their clothes, preparing their food, and tidying their rooms).
What can I learn by completing a nanny training course?
By doing a nanny training course, you can learn how to care for children, as well as how to stimulate their development. Depending on which course(s) you study, you will be able to learn more about aspects such as:
- Communication with children
- Childcare techniques
- Childhood nutrition
- Childhood development
- Health and safety for childcare workers
Will nanny training help me to find a job?
While nannies are generally not required to have any specific qualifications or training, parents often prefer to hire nannies who have completed some kind of training in childcare.
By completing a nanny training course, you are indicating to parents that you are committed to childcare, that you are interested in developing your knowledge and skills, and that you have at least a fundamental understanding of childhood development – all of which helps to make parents feel more comfortable about hiring you to look after their children.
That being said, practical experience and good references are essential to finding a job as a nanny. You cannot rely on your training alone to help you secure a job.
Where can I register for a nanny training course?
You can register for a nanny training course at Oxbridge Academy. At Oxbridge Academy, we give you the opportunity to study your nanny course from home, which means that you can work while you study.
The courses that you can choose from include the following:
Short Learning Programmes
These non-credit bearing skills courses are designed to equip you with fundamental skills in childcare, and will introduce you to basic elements of childhood development. These courses are a good choice if you want to learn more about childcare, and if you want to acquire the basic skills you need to work as a nanny, childminder, or babysitter.
National Qualifications (ECD Courses):
These formal qualifications are registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF), and are designed to prepare you for a career in the ECD environment. These courses are a good choice if you want to work in a child day care centre or ECD centre, work as an au pair, or start up your own child day care centre.
- National Certificate: N4 Educare (SAQA ID 66883)
- National Certificate: N5 Educare (SAQA ID 66971)
- National Certificate: N6 Educare (SAQA ID 67007)
These courses are not only for nannies – they are designed to equip you with knowledge and skills that will benefit you in any childcare environment.
When you register for one of these courses, you will:
- Receive all your study material via post or courier.
- Receive study material that is up-to-date, relevant, and specifically designed for distance learning students.
- Have access to academic support from an industry-expert tutor via telephone and e-mail.