The Duties and Responsibilities of an Au Pair
An au pair usually lives with a family to look after the children while the parents are at work, and to assist with childcare responsibilities generally.
Different laws and regulations apply to au pairs working in different countries. You will therefore need to do your research carefully if you plan to work as an au pair overseas, so that you are aware of all the laws and regulations that apply to you.
As an au pair, your main duties will be to:
- Prepare the children for school in the mornings.
- Take the children to school and pick them up again in the afternoons.
- Assist the children with their homework.
- Take the children to extra-mural activities and appointments.
- Play games with the children.
- Bath the children.
- Get the children ready for bed in the evenings.
- Keep the children entertained when the family goes on vacation.
- Prepare meals for the children.
- Wash and iron clothes for the children to wear.
- Tidy up after the children.
Depending on the family you work for, you may also be required to:
- Arrange playdates for the children.
- Do grocery shopping.
- Run errands.
- Clean the children’s bedrooms.
- Help with light household chores.
As an au pair, you should be treated as part of the family. This means that you may be asked to go on vacation with the family, that you may be given a curfew, and that you will be expected to obey the rules of your host family (within reason, of course).
Find out where you can register for au pair training:
You can register for au pair training at Oxbridge Academy. At Oxbridge Academy, we give you the opportunity to complete your au pair training course from home (via distance learning). This means that you won’t have to attend any classes, and that you will be able to complete your training at your own pace and in your own time. You will even be able to work while you study.
The au pair training courses that you can choose from include the following:
Au Pair Courses:
National Qualifications in Childcare:
- National Certificate: N4 Educare (SAQA ID 66883)
- National Certificate: N5 Educare (SAQA ID 66971)
- National Certificate: N6 Educare (SAQA ID 67007)