Types of Business Courses
If you are considering a career in the business environment, then you should know that there are many different types of business management courses to choose from. The different types of courses focus on different aspects of business management — some equip you with the general knowledge and skills that you need to play a managerial role in the business environment, while others prepare you for taking up a managerial role in a specific area of a business (such as marketing, supply chain, or finance).
To find out more about what the different types of business management (and business management courses) involve, have a look at the descriptions below:
General Business Management
Studying a general business management course is a great choice if you would like to:
- Gain an understanding of how organisations work
- Acquire critical and analytical thinking skills
- Strengthen your written and verbal communication skills
- Learn how to deal with, and solve, problems
- Develop your decision making skills
- Acquire digital literacy
- Improve your financial literacy
By studying a general business management course, you will be able to build a solid foundation from which you can develop your career — without limiting yourself to a specific job role.
Risk management involves managing the risks faced by a business and its staff members. Such risks include: business risk, financial risk, health and safety risk, and disaster risk. Risk managers are responsible for identifying risks and for putting measures in place so that these risks can be avoided, reduced, or transferred.
Supervisory management involves overseeing and managing employees in the workplace. A supervisor is usually process- and activity-oriented. He or she co-ordinates the activities of the employees under his or her supervision, and usually reports on these activities to a senior manager. A supervisor is usually also responsible for resolving the daily issues, concerns, and grievances raised by the employees under his or her supervision.
Purchasing management is the part of an organisation that is responsible for overseeing the acquisition of the products and services required by the organisation. As a purchasing manager, you will have to plan and co-ordinate the activities of the buyers within the business. You will also have to evaluate suppliers, negotiate deals, and review the quality of the products and services being purchased.
Project management involves taking charge of the various projects that are carried out within a business, and making sure that the project objectives are met. As a project manager, you will be responsible for ensuring that the project is completed on time and within the given budget. You will also have to make sure that the project team members are doing their jobs correctly, and that effective communication is maintained with all relevant stakeholders.
Quality management involves making sure that the quality of the products and services supplied by a business meet the desired standards. This could involve a wide variety of activities, including the development and implementation of a quality management system, the evaluation of quality management procedures, quality assurance, and quality control.
Interested in studying business management?
Oxbridge Academy offers the following types of business management courses via distance learning:
Short Learning Programmes
An Oxbridge Academy skills course in the field of business management will increase your knowledge and develop your skills in relation to the topic that you choose to study. While the skills courses are non-credit bearing, they will give you some of the background you need to take up a role in business management.
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Business Administration
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Entrepreneurship (New Venture Creation)
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Principles of Business Management
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Risk Management
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Supervisory Management
- Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Small Business Management
National Qualifications: N4 – N6
The N4 – N6 courses are registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF). These formal qualifications are designed to prepare you for a career in business management, and are therefore focused on equipping you with the skills that you need to succeed in the workplace.
- National Certificate: N4 Business Management (SAQA ID 66871)
- National Certificate: N5 Business Management (SAQA ID 66929)
- National Certificate: N6 Business Management (SAQA ID 66995)
- National Certificate: N4 Farming Management (SAQA ID 66829)
- National Certificate: N5 Farming Management (SAQA ID 66914)
- National Certificate: N6 Farming Management (SAQA ID 66993)
Educational Management Development Programmes
At Oxbridge Academy, we offer the following educational management development programmes via distance learning:
Want to find out more about studying any of these courses?[include id=”1″ title=”Hubspot Horizontal Form”]