With the exception of getting things mahala, it’s one of the best feelings when you walk up to a cash till and find out that your items are discounted. Especially when you’re a student!
There are many ways to enjoy the student experience without having to focus too much on your finances. For example: did you know that you could qualify for a discount when you produce your student card at the cash till?
HERE ARE A FEW EXAMPLES OF PLACES THAT WILL AWARD YOU A STUDENT DISCOUNT:
- Table Mountain: Every Friday, the Table Mountain Cableway offers South African students tickets at half the normal price.
- Kirstenbosch: Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens in Cape Town charges a half-price entry fee for students.
- Bus operators: Greyhound offers a 10% discount, and Intercape offers a 5% discount, to students who would like to use their services.
- Computicket: Some events booked through Computicket make provision for student discounts. So when you’re looking for tickets to an event, check whether there is a discount available.
- Apple iStore: Students are eligible for a 3% discount on Apple products and services purchased at the Apple iStore.
- Student Flights: Flight Centre’s Student Flights offers discounted local and international flights, as well as accommodation, to students. Click here to find out more.
- Cape Union Mart: The outdoor retailer, Cape Union Mart, offers a 5% discount to students.
- Markham: Markham gives students a 20% discount on all clothing every Thursday.
- Varsity Vibe: For a monthly fee, Varsity Vibe gives students amazing discounts on everything from Uber rides to clothing brands, drinks, food and activities.
Remember that, to claim your student discount, you will have to show your student card to prove that you are a student.
In addition to the places listed above, there are many other places — such as book stores, printing companies, and restaurants — that will give you a student discount when you produce your student card, so don’t forget to ask, and remember to keep your student card on you wherever you go. The last thing you want to do is miss out on a great deal, just because you left your card at home.
If you are not yet a student, but would like to start studying on a part-time or full-time basis from home, you can click here to check out the list of courses offered by Oxbridge Academy. You can also get a 10% discount on your course fees if one your sibling (s) is already studying with us.
Note: This article was originally published on 6 November 2015, and has been updated for relevance and accuracy.