If you are thinking about furthering your education or acquiring new skills through the exciting and flexible model of home study, let’s get you started on the right track to success.
Most people who decide to register with a distance learning institution do so online after conducting research on the internet. In many cases, the online registration process is their first point of contact with the institution, and also the prospective student’s first experience with distance learning.
Once you have decided to register for a distance learning course, however, a few important things need to happen to guarantee future success in your studies and chosen career:
1. You need to make sure you know what you are going to study
You might think this is the easiest step, as you may already know what kind of job you would like to have, and you will obviously plan to choose a course that leads to a career you have in mind. But taking responsibility for your future starts with educating yourself about the different courses – and finding out which courses will equip you with the skills and qualifications you need to pursue your chosen career.
In many cases, students realise too late that the course they have registered for does not lead to the career they want to pursue – either because they have not researched the job criteria, or because they have not familiarised themselves with the course outcomes. But this can easily be avoided, and we are here to help you make the right decisions.
2. Empower yourself
Before you register, read as much as you can about the career path you want to follow. Find out what skills and qualifications employers are looking for, and then look for courses that will help you to acquire those skills and qualifications.
If you are not sure whether a particular course will help you get the job you want, you can ask us to assist you. Our Student Advisors are contactable via telephone and e-mail during office hours:
Tel: 021 1100 200
3. You need to take responsibility when registering
As an established distance learning college, we help our students to enrol for the correct course and to ensure it’s the best choice for their needs. But we can only do this if students take responsibility when registering, being clear in their objectives and educating themselves about the requirements for a specific career.
The right information will also assist us in making the process as simple as possible, and, most importantly, will help you complete a course that allows you to enter the job market with the right skills.
Enrolment made easy: how does registration work?
- Prospective students can register online via our website – click here to get started.
- Students may also register telephonically, in which case our Student Advisors will explain the enrolment procedure as well as the payment options. You can speak to a Student Advisor by phoning 021 1100 200.
- There are responsibilities that should be carried out by the college as well as the student. The college must enrol the student for the correct course and explain the fee system, while the student should provide the correct information and pay the required registration fee to secure their enrolment and activate their course.
If you have any questions about distance learning in South Africa, Oxbridge Academy’s accreditations, or our student support, don’t hesitate to contact us.
Note: This article was originally published on 21 August 2014, and has been updated for accuracy.