If you’re working in marketing, you will be aware of the profound impact that social media has made on the world as we know it. Social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn are used by millions of people all over the globe to keep in touch with friends and family, share their stories, keep up with the latest news, and even to market their businesses and advance their careers.
Most of us already have our own profiles on these social platforms, but we don’t bother, or don’t know how, to use them to their full advantage. But with just a little bit of effort, your social media profile can go a long way towards boosting your career.
So here are 13 social media tips you can use to boost your marketing career:
While Facebook is mainly used for social purposes, many recruiters and employers use Facebook to check out prospective employees. They often take note of the types of activities you like to participate in, the topics you talk about, and the pictures and articles you share.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when using Facebook:
- Share some posts or articles that relate to your hobbies and interests, but also remember to share a few knowledgeable and insightful articles that pertain to your job role and industry. This shows a balance between your personal and professional interests.
- Engage with marketing pages and influencers on Facebook by liking, commenting on, and sharing posts from industry leaders’ Facebook pages. Social media managers pick up on which people are actively engaging with them on Facebook, and could approach you with a job offer or other opportunity for advancing your career.
- Keep it professional. The quickest way for you to draw attention (and we’re not talking about the good kind) is for you to post or share inappropriate content on your Facebook page. Also — think twice before bashing a person or a brand on Facebook (or anywhere else on the internet).
Twitter is a great platform to use if you love engaging with millions of other Tweeple (Twitter people) on a daily, or even hourly, basis. The platform is similar to a microblog, and allows you to post tweets about your own opinions on a variety of topics.
Tips to follow when using Twitter:
- Think before you tweet. As Twitter allows you to post instantly, you have to be careful not to tweet something that you could regret at a later stage. Also, whatever you do, don’t get involved in a Twitter brawl with anyone!
- Follow the industry leaders in your sector and actively engage with them. Use Twitter’s trending hashtags function to see what people are talking about, and use these topics to share some of your own knowledge with others. This way, people will see that you’re on top of what’s new and trending, and that you also have your own insights and opinions about these topics.
- Be active. Try to post an industry-relevant tweet at least once a day. This will help to make you visible to your followers, and could attract others that are able to help you advance in your marketing career.
LinkedIn is the social playing field for professionals. Here, you should keep in mind that the platform is not meant for you to share selfies, but rather to share your industry knowledge and experiences with other professionals.
Here are a few tips for engaging with others on LinkedIn:
- Keep your personal profile updated with your latest information. Remember to update your profile when any of your contact details change, when your job description changes, or when you acquire a new skill. Also remember to list any courses you might be studying. This will help recruiters and/or potential future employers to find you online.
- Don’t be afraid to share your own insights and knowledge. If you feel you have particular industry insights that could benefit others, share this information via a blog post or article.
- Engage with the right brands and people. Don’t try to follow every single LinkedIn user! Rather pick the brands and individuals that you know, trust, and think could help you to advance your career in some way.
Buffer is the tool of choice for sharing content across multiple social media accounts, all from one central dashboard. This allows you to easily schedule and control content when marketing your business. The tool also has several simple but highly useful analytics features.
- Use Followerwonk in combination with Buffer. Followerwonk gives you an overview of when your followers are most active on Facebook. This means that you can schedule content at times when it is likely to be viewed most. Simply sign up to Followerwonk, log in and click “Analyze followers”.
- Install the browser extension. Available on most major browsers, these extensions will allow you to queue articles directly from websites for easy sharing on your social media platforms.
- Download the mobile app. The mobile app has all the important features found on the website, meaning that you can use Buffer wherever you are.
- Use content suggestions. Buffer has a handy “content suggestions” tool, which can eliminate the often time-consuming task of finding relevant content to post on your social media pages.
Want to find out more about using social media to boost your career? Click here!
This article was originally published on 20 January 2016, and has been updated for comprehensiveness.